As the closing ceremony is about to begin I thought I would reflect on the things I have most enjoyed about this Olympics and it’s made me very excited for Tokyo 2020!

1.     The excitement!
Watching team GB compete for medals has to be one of the most exciting and nerve-wracking thing ever. Waiting to find out if Jason Kenny would win another gold medal the same night as his fianc̩ Laura Trott Рamazing.

2.     The range of sports
If I’m not mistaken there are 28 sports involved in the Olympics, I’ve watched sports I never had before and been shouting at the TV like I understand it. I’m not suggesting I’m a fan of all but knowing there will be people out the inspired to join new sports is wonderful.

3.     GB pride
Second in the medal table!? Most successful away games!? Smashed our target!? AND we received more medals than in London 2012. Does it get much better than that?

4.     Interviews with the athletes
Getting to know a little bit more about the personalities of the athletes is so nice. And seeing the joy in them when they’ve won is lovely. Plus they give us humour. Martyn Rooney’s brilliant “I ran like a dick” priceless.

5.     Relationships between athletes
From engaged couple Jason Kenny and Laura Trott both winning multiple golds to brothers Alistair and Jonny Brownlee winning gold and silver in the same triathlon to married couple Kate and Helen Richardson-Walsh it was an Olympics of families. Of course not everyone appreciated the German twins, Anna and  Lisa Hahner’s beautiful sentiment of crossing the finish line together but I like to think most people saw the sweet side.

6.     Star athletes
Usain Bolt? Need I say more.

7.     World records
Adam Peaty beating his own world record. And Michael Johnson’s reaction to Wayde Van Niekerk beating his 400m record from 1996. New world records are just amazing to see.

8.     Fans
They make the atmosphere what it is, plus they are great entertainment to watch in the background on TV.

9.      Sportsmanship
Nikki Hamblin and Abbey D’Agostino’s wonderful display in a 5,000m heat had everyone talking, and rightly so. 


Image from Google Images.